Monday, May 4, 2009

Making the Most of the End of the Year

Traditional school lets out for the summer here in a couple of weeks. The great thing about homeschooling is that some families homeschool all year long, while others follow a more traditional schedule. Our family follows a traditional schedule, with not much work being done during the summer. However, I do like to take advantage of the end of the year to help me plan for next year. Here are some things I do that might help you assess and plan for your preschooler:

  • Review everything learned over the course of year. For us that is the alphabet, numbers 1 - 20, writing and spelling her first name, counting to 50, mixing colors, number order, alphabet order, and sorting objects.
  • Give a small assessment that shows how well your child knows the topics you covered, without giving much help or prodding to get the answers or skills done correctly. For example, I use an ice cream print out with the numbers 1 - 10 on the scoops. I then have her put them in order on the ice cream cone. I evaluate whether or not she knows her number order or just has the numbers memorized when counting.
  • Use fun crafts and hands-on activities that emphasize any skill she still struggles with.
  • Take notes, making a point to start the next school year with the skills she still needs help on and a short review.
Utilizing this method helps me assess her without using workbooks or formal tests. I don't use any sort of books or suggestions on what she should know, nor do I compare her to her peers. I simply evaluate if she has met the skills I set up for her during the year. If she has, great! If not, I just figure out more ways to teach a particular concept next year. Many times, a few months of aging really changes how a child learns and comprehends.
Happy Homeschooling!!

1 comment:

  1. I think homeschooling is great. I wish more people would give it a try.

    ReplyDelete